A Toast!

Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm ready, let's go

On February 11th, 2007 I was involved in an accident, as a truck pulled out in front of me without looking. I was badly injured with a grade 4 laceration on liver, a bunch of broken ribs, minor brain injury and various other cuts, bumps and bruises. I could have very easily died right then, and various times in the hospital but not to worry, the driver of the truck was cited – he was given a Right of Way violation which carries a fine of $50.00 or less.

I woke up 3 weeks later, with no recollection of the accident. The entire time I was in my coma-like state I suffered non-stop nightmares that were likely coinciding with all the strong medications and the various complications and procedures I was going through. One night I had a blood clot leave my liver and got into my lung making it hard to breathe. While I have no memory of this because of all the drugs, I was still able to know I needed help. I tore the tubes from my leg, chest, throat and my privates and headed down the hospital hallways for help. Even though I had lost 41 pounds, it took 6 people to restrain me and get me strapped into bed. I couldn’t wait to get out, and I left the hospital about a week after I awoke to start finishing recovery and rehab at home.

I must stop for just a moment and give thanks, as many are due. Thanks to the hospital staff, for keeping me alive and as comfortable as possible. Thanks to Mom and Dad, for visiting might after night and making sure I ate, and giving the love only parents can give. Thanks to my brother Chris who made me stick my tongue out to take a picture to remind me how cute I looked the day after the accident. Thanks to Chainsaw and Girl Geek, who put out a nationwide call to all bikers about my incident resulting in bazillion cards, then brought them in for me to open. It was simply awesome to open all of them and see so many wishes of support, from people I have never met. Thanks to Susan Sturgis who brought me a new Ride Bell, in hopes my Guardian Angel will continue to ride by my side. Thanks to the Christian Bikers who came in often to pray for me and my family, as their words gave strength and comfort to all and helped me re-establish a connection with God. And a giant group thank you to everyone mentioned and all my family, friends and coworkers for the visits, kind words and prayers. There were so many people around me giving me support, and for that, I thank you. I never realized how many caring people I had in my life. In more ways than one I am a very lucky man.

But my biggest thanks go to my wife, Lysa. Her loving determination alone could have kept me alive. She kept her wits, and stayed focused. She kept both my hands and my heart warm. We both thank all of you for the tremendous support and love Lysa received as well. I am fortunate to have her, and we are both privileged to have so many.

Tuesday, May 8th I had the drain removed from my chest cavity so I no longer have to carry that percutaneous drain around like a fashion accessory and now only have a hole in my side that should heal in a month. My doctor said returning to work should not be a problem- with a lifting restriction of 20 pounds which is causing a problem with my employer’s insurance company. They say I should be able to lift 50 before I can return, but that could be a month, maybe even longer. Returning to work would be a huge mental lift, as money is getting tight since short-term disability doesn’t pay that much and Lysa didn’t go to her job for a few months, instead working for me tending to my needs.

Now I am doing chores and pushing myself a little further each day to build stamina. Not getting into bed as often can be tough. (Yes Lysa and Mom, I still get rest as I need to.) But my brain has cleared the fog and the pain is not constant, at least at the moment.

Life is waiting for me and I am extremely ready to see it again.

3 comments:

a most peculiar nature said...

And see it again, you will.

Knowing what you have been through, I can only thank God that you had overwhelming support of family and friends that you had and continue to have.

Good Brother, you are in are thoughts at all times. We know the healing process is not fast enough for you, and it is hard to be patient.

I will check back often for your words, as they have often inspired me.

Now, BACK TO YOUR CHORES !

GirlGeek

Little Sister said...

Inch, we all have prayed, cried and worried. It is good to hear you are on you way back. Progress is slow, but it IS progress and for that we are thankful. No one said you had to have patience.

Not to worry, we will wait for you.
However long it takes.

Happy Mother's Day to Lysa.

Hugs for you both.

Angry Inch said...

Ahh, thanks ladies. I will be sure to pass on the love to Lysa.

And GG, I am on chores, you can trust that. I got too damn many!